Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bernie Somers: Women & Children (The Moth)

This segment of the Moth was hilarious. To open up the night, Bernie Somers sings a song that he made up about how he would imagine people to react on the sinking Titantic. "Women and children FIRRR-RST..." I would definitely rather be there in person to watch this stand-up comedian rather than listen to it without a visual supplement. As difficult as it sounds, I'm trying to envision sitting next to complete strangers and laughing as though I was one of the people in the crowd. Truly, podcasts do detract from being in the actual setting. However, the sound effects (i.e. laughter, clapping of hands and the detailed intonations of the speaker) all give this segment more substance. I enjoyed being entertained, and I think I automatically laughed during the parts where the audience collectively laughed. Even though I don't know these people and I can't interact with them, they influenced me. It's interesting to think that people, in this case, are merely part of the audio. I use my ears more in this segment and catch subtle tones and voice changes because I rely on one of my senses to remain keen.

No comments:

Post a Comment